Details of the City, Town, Village, Suburbs including its historical detail.
Pandacan is in the 6th district of Manila, south of the Pasig River. It is like an island, surrounded by the waters of Pasig River and its branches, Pandacan River, Beata River and the rivulet known as the “Tripa de Gallina”. The patron saint of Pandacan is the miraculous Sto. Niño. According to the census of 1975, Pandacan has a population of 73,328 and 10,052 families. The communities were clean and peaceful. The people were happy, industrious and had good personal relationships. They were creative, lovable and peaceful. Although Pandacan is small, it is rich in legends and history.
Fr. JACINTO ZAMORA was born here. Francisco Baltazar lived here and fell in love with Celia, a beautiful native of Pandacan. He was inspired to write Florante at Laura. Many personalities came from this place – in the field of music, drama and literature. Pandacan became the paradise of music and poetry and was dubbed as “Little Italy” and “Little Venice of the Philippines”.
Pandacan is a small island surrounded by Pasig River and other rivers like Beata River and Pandacan River. To its North is Sampaloc, to the south is Paco and to the west is San Miguel, which is 2 1/1 kilometers away from Pandacan. It has different barangays as Bayan, Bagumbayan, Beata, Sulukan, Kahilum I, II, III, Kaingin, Labores, Zamora, Bagong Barangay and Balagtas.
Economic, Socio-Cultural, Political Information
The people of Pandacan has a unique quality that can never be found in other communities. They had this full trust that there will never be anyone who will trespass one’s property.
It’s unbelievable but the first people of Pandacan came from one clan, almost all of them were relatives. All of them were known to each other and their personal relationships were cordial.
There is no discrimination between the rich and the poor. Although few were rich, they were all respected in the likes of Don Andres Bunda, Captain Isidro Mendoza, Don Eusebio Carlos, Don Ricardo Lozada, etc. The people were all respectful, kind and law-abiding. There was no economic problem among the families. The women could be dressmakers, sewing baby dresses or night gowns or they could be selling food. The men could be barbers, drivers, carpenters, tailors or employees. The children were obedient and helpful. In every house, there was an altar and during the Angelus, all the members of the family would be praying and after their prayers they would be kissing the hands of the elders.
Many politicians came from Pandacan. Honorable Felicisimo Cabigao of Balagtas was one of the outstanding Councilors of the City of Manila in 1961 and became the Vice-Mayor during the time of Mayor Antonio J. Villegas. Honorable Federico A. Blay of T. San luis St. became a councilor in the 4th district of Manila in 1957 to 1959. He was one of the founders and was the first President of Pandacan Civic Circle.
Director Lucina C. Alday of Narciso St. was the only woman Councilor of the City Council of Manila. She was a known social worker and a teacher. She was also one of the Presidents of Pandacan Senior Ladies Association. She was responsible for the existence of Pandacan Chest Clinic, Kapitan Isidro Mendoza Health Center and Public Library, Jacinto Ciria Cruz Public Swimming Pool and other public projects.
THE SCHOOL CONTEXT: GREAT is the history of J. Zamora Elementary School. It started as a small school until it has progresses and was developed through the concerted efforts of the School Administrators, Teachers, Local Government Units and the community as well. J. Zamora Elementary School is located at Zamora Street and Labores Street encompassing 100 hectares.
It started as a community school of Pandacan in 1900. The Americans built it in Bagumbayan. After four years of existence, it became too small for the 150 children. So in 1910, the school was transferred to a bigger house in Beata. But the community wanted more. They wanted to have a new and big school that can cater to the needs of a progressing community. Hence, through the efforts of the community, the City Council gave enough money in 1920 for the construction of a big school in Labores Street. It was named after FR. JACINTO ZAMORA, in recognition of his being one of the outstanding sons of Pandacan and as a hero. It was blessed and inaugurated in November. Mr. Arcadio del Rosario became the first Principal of JZES.
In 1933, the adjoining lots were given to the school. President Manuel L. Quezon together with Mr. del Rosario, who was then retired, visited the school and after that visit, the City Council once more approved the granting of money to buy the lots surrounding the school.
Second World War came and the development of the school was stopped. The school and all the facilities were entrusted to Mr. Ricardo B. Mendoza, who was just a plain teacher then. Great destruction was inflicted on the school during Japanese time so when the Americans came, it took a long time for its rehabilitation. It was a great challenge for the teachers and administrators to collect all the school materials and books.
As the population increased, there was a great need for more schools. J. Zamora Elementary School was one of the schools that needed more development and needed more space. It rented more spaces for classrooms and from then on, the growth of JZES was a continuing responsibility of the school administrators, Local Government Unit, Teachers, PTCA and the community as well.
The Principals who followed Mr. Mendoza have their respective shares in the continuing improvements of JZES.
Mrs. Emiliana Ramos was a Principal from 1962 to 1966. She was followed by Mrs. Angelina G. Eliquen (1966-1974), who during her administration, the spacious 70-room three storey building was constructed. JZES was selected one of the first public schools in Manila to open Kindergarten classes.
Mrs. Jesusa G. Jose’s term (1974-1980) was characterized by a cleanliness campaign in the school and it’s surroundings. A stickler for quality and discipline, she inspired the teachers to their level best in every undertaking.
Mrs. Leonarda R. Fallarme (1980-1985) added beauty and religious atmosphere. She installed the Sto. Niño grotto and the artificial waterfalls which now gives delight to the pupils. Mrs. Fallarme helped revise the Buling-Buling Festival. Dr. Jimena R. Alegre immediately attended to the pressing problem of the school, the clogged drainages of its comfort rooms, and inadequate water supply.
Succeeding Dr. Alegre was Dr. Marianito P. Guzman (1991-1994). During his first term as a Principal, a very successful sport festival was held. A very cooperative population of parents and teachers were evident in its success. From solicitations for a souvenir program, the school was able to build a covered walk, built from the North Labores entrance to the canteen, a fountain for safety drinking of the pupils and a bleacher for the quadrangle. He was then transferred to Ma. Guerrero Elementary School on August of 1994.
Now, JZES stands tall with its structure so different from the original. It is a three-storey building which has withstood all the havocs of nature. It was not even destroyed by an earthquake last April 7, 1970.Even the typhoon Yoling could not destroy it.
Today, JZES could boast of its modern facilities, nice and beautiful surroundings with the Administrator, Teaching and Non-Teaching Personnel working hand-in hand for the welfare of the school and the children. Presently, MISS ANGELINA A. MOJICA is the Principal of J. Zamora Elementary School.
As a transformational leader, a leader who can easily adopt to the needs and challenges not only for the teachers but for the pupils as well. As a leader, her main focus is to sustain and improve quality teaching and learning in this school, that she does instructional and personal supervision among her teachers. She also creates a good and pleasant atmosphere and harmonious, wholesome relationship among her teachers and her other sub-ordinates in order to promote a better teaching-learning technique and to be able to achieve her goal— ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE EXCELLENCE.